Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Learning Through Play

Book Study Week 1: Chapters 1,2,7
Commentary by Angele Sancho Passé and video.

The video talks about the transition in cognitive functioning with longer attention spans occurs between 5-7 and executive function skills are critical to being successful during the early school years. Unless the framework for learning and executive skills are working, no amount of teaching will result in success.

As a toddler teacher, I can help children be successful when they get to preschool by helping them develop the ~basic~ physical, social, emotional, literacy and self help skills needed to build on (the bottom of that scaffold) for that later success.

In the video, one educator talks about the social emotional component as the "hidden curriculum".  Maybe it shouldn't be "hidden". Parents and administrators that set the goals for early childhood need to know that unless all kids are taught social-emotional skills, it is hard to learn any academic skills.  Kids who are under stress due to food insecurity, unstable homes, not enough sleep do not feel safe and cannot use executive function skills.  I have jokingly said, as I watch my charges sleeping, that "naps are wasted on children".  I know that sleep is critical to development and learning at all ages and this book empowers us to educate other adults that sleep is not baby stuff.

Angele Sancho Passé discusses the importance of play as learning.  Play is critical.  Playing with other children requires the abilities to communicate, compromise, wait, share, help, physically move using large and small motor skills.  In my experience, play, while critical, needs to be structured by teachers to keep it from being a free for all.

In my toddler classroom I change the theme monthly, create games and dramatic play opportunities that enhance the theme.  When my classroom is running smoothly, there is a balance of free play, creative time, "group time" which consists of stories, active songs and interactive weather games, and movement. We follow a daily schedule so the kids know what comes next, but with flexibility.  There are days when the kids are all just "playing" really well, whether parallel or cooperatively, that I suspend the next activity until the good play stops. I ask questions, offer suggestions, add elements to the play.   I try not to let play devolve into craziness, so I find myself only engaged in behavior management. I know when to switch gears and move into another activity.

In Chapter 2: "The Earlier the Better?" I was reassured in our role in educating parents.  Again, until kids have the physical and cognitive abilities to learn certain things, no amount of teaching will produce a result.  Even at a toddler level.  I have some parents expecting a "product".  What did my child ~DO~ today."   It is important to share with parents our thoughts behind activities and curriculum.  We are learning "gentle touch" by reading a "fuzzy" book, and have toy pets to practice petting.  There is no product here.  This is just the start of teaching empathy, caring and being gentle.  Sometimes this activity can take much of our morning, without much to show for it.  The evidence could show up later in the child's behavior towards a pet at home or sibling, but not until the child is physically and cognitively able.



No comments:

Post a Comment