Monday, May 23, 2016

All Work and No Play

Book Study Week 5: Chapter 13
Commentary by Walter F. Drew

Free play is critical to learning.  Kids who are told what to do, when to do it and how, never learn to problem solve or think for themselves. One thing you'll hear me say all the time in my toddler classroom is, "Please try and solve your problem, but let me know if you need my help". I have introverts and extroverts that are learning to play in the same space and I help by removing "hazards" and every month I create new toys and experiences that fit my theme. We have a daily schedule, because toddlers need to know what comes next with some predictability, to be secure enough to play. By my favorite mornings are those spent with individual and small groups of toddlers ~playing~.  I let the play go on as long as possible. Usually until my most active children get wound up and need to switch gears.

When I communicate with parents, I let them know the value of the play we engaged in that day.  Informing them that toddlers playing, whether cooperatively, solitary or engaged in parallel play,  are learning valuable skills.  Self regulation, sharing, language, social integration, problem solving...just to name a few.

The comment, made by Rachel on Dawn's blog,  when she hears people comment on her vocation" I wish I could just play with kids all day" made me think about the comments I get about babysitting or doing daycare I sometimes hear when I say I am "toddler teacher" . 

In this fast paced, academic achievement-valued early childhood field, it turns out we need to teach parents the value of play...and make sure the children have time to do it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment